Got Fruit? Do you have extra fruit trees or vegetables growing in your backyard? Don't let your bounty go to waste. The Foodbank gladly accepts produce donations from your backyard and may even help pick it. Call Carla Rosin, our Backyard Bounty Coordinator, at (805) 403-8327.
Interested in Participating?
Read below to find out how you can get involved.
1. Harvest Your Own Yard
If you have less than 5 fruit trees in your yard that you would like to donate and can manage harvesting the fruit on your own, we would love to receive your donation. Simply pick the fruit when it's ripe and bring it down to one of our warehouses. Be sure to stop by the office when you come to receive a tax receipt for your donation. If you are able to harvest but need tools or equipment, please email Carla Rosin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Get Help from the Community
If you are unable to harvest your own fruit, we may be able to help. Due to high demand, Backyard Bounty will organize group harvests only for properties with 5 trees or more. If you have less than 5 trees but still need help harvesting, here are some tips:
· Have a gardener help harvest the fruit
· Enlist the help of friends, relatives, and neighbors
· Rally other resources within the neighborhood such as kids/youth
· Enlist the help of your/local church or local boy/girl scouts
· Solicit other neighbors to participate and have a harvest morning where multiple trees are collectively gleaned
3. Sign up for a Harvest with Backyard Bounty
If you have 5 trees or more in your backyard and would like to schedule a harvest with Backyard Bounty, please email Carla Rosin at email@example.com.
Your email should include:
· Your Name
· Physical address for the harvest
· # of Trees
· Type(s) of Fruit
· Estimate of when your fruit will be ripe
Please note that due to high demand, Backyard Bounty may not be able to schedule a harvest, and priority will be given to properties with the most fruit. Whenever possible, please harvest the fruit yourself. If you are able to pick the fruit but cannot deliver it to our warehouse, please give us a call at (805) 967-5741.
Plant a Row for the Foodbank As part of your garden this year, we encourage you to 'Plant A Row'. Plant A Row is a nationwide initiative intended to connect home gardeners with extra produce and a means of distribution to those in need